Ancient Hungarian Horntail Adversaries and Dragon Oddities

B

Brita

Players will LOVE next week’s Adversaries Event in Harry Potter: Wizards Unite. In addition to the Ancient Hungarian Horntail, other dragon-related Foundables AND Dragon Egg Portkeys will be boosted.

Once again, the Baruffio’s Brain Elixir Spotlight Event is available for players levels 4-14.

Note: Thank you Niantic and WB Games for providing Wizards Unite Hub with early information so we can create Wizards Unite guides.

To learn more about the upcoming Adversaries Event featuring Dragons, Dragon Eggs, and more, you can watch my video or keep reading.

Event Name Ancient Hungarian Horntail Adversaries and Dragon Oddities
Date + Time
Features
  • Starts on September 27, 2021 at 11:00 a.m. PT
  • Ends on September 30, 2021 at 11:00 a.m. PT
  • A special assignment with rewards
  • Ancient Hungarian Horntail Adversary will be boosted on the Map and when using Edible Dark Marks
  • The following Foundables will be boosted on the Map and when using Tonic for Trace Detection:
    • -Peruvian Vipertooth
    • -Chinese Fireball
    • -Welsh Green
    • -Antipodean Opaleye
    • -Baby Norwegian Ridgeback
    • -Dragon Egg
  • Master Notes will reduce brewing time by 25% for all Exstimulo Potions and Wit-Sharpening Potion
  • Increased spawns of Dragon Egg Portmanteaus, including:
    • -Peruvian Vipertooth Egg
    • -Chinese Fireball Egg
    • -Welsh Green Egg
    • -Antipodean Opaleye Egg
  • Guaranteed Exploration Foundable Fragments from Forest Chamber IV
  • Guaranteed Hagrid’s Hut Fragment from Dark Chambers
  • Increased Wizarding XP, Challenge XP, and Family XP from doing Wizarding Challenges, plus Spell Energy rewards
  • Baruffio’s Brain Elixir Spotlight Event just for players levels 4-14
  • Free store pack
[TR]
[TD]Rewards[/TD]

• Defense Against the Dark Arts Books
  • Spell Energy
  • Gold
  • And more!!!
[/TR]
Adversaries Event Tasks and Rewards

The biggest challenge will be defeating enough Ancient Hungarian Horntails to collect the required Artefact Fragments. The other tasks are reasonable, although it’s frustrating to waste 2 Edible Dark Marks.

Quest StepReward
Use 2 Edible Dark Marks20 Spell Energy
Return 3 Hagrid’s Huts from Dark Chambers1 Wit-Sharpening Potion
Defeat 6 Welsh Greens2 Strong Exstimulo Potions
Defeat 6 Chinese Fireballs6 Healing Potions
Use 7 Potions in Adversary Encounters1 Silver Key
Deal 27,500 Damage to Adversaries1 DADA Book
Earn 1750 Challenge XP through Wizarding Challenges and Adversary Chains1 DADA Book
Return 18 Artefact Fragments from Ancient Hungarian Horntail Chains1 DADA Book

Overall rewards:

• 5 Defense Against the Dark Arts Books
  • 500 Wizarding XP
  • 60 Gold
  • 30 Spell Energy
Adversaries Event BONUS Tasks and Rewards

This Adversaries Event includes a Bonus Assignment! If you can get through the regular tasks, the Bonus Assignment is fairly easy. Most players will be hunting Dragon Oddities anyway. The primary challenge (other than completing the regular tasks) will be finding sufficient Ancient Hungarian Horntail Adversaries.

Quest StepReward
Defeat 30 Dragon Oddities1 Spell Book
Unlock 1 Dragon Egg Portmanteau1 Spell Book
Defeat 4 Ancient Hungarian Horntails1 Spell Book

Bonus rewards:

• 5 Defense Against the Dark Arts Books
  • 5 Restricted Section Books
  • 1000 Wizarding XP
  • 40 Gold
  • 30 Spell Energy
  • 1 Fearless Fighter title

Finally! The rewards promised back in July!

How to Prepare for September’s Adversaries Event

Advice is a little different for this particular Adversaries Event because we will also have Dragon Oddities, Dragon Portmanteaus, AND Wizarding Challenge bonuses. Honestly, you could skip the Adversaries in the Adversaries Event and still have a great time!

Prepare to Defeat Dragons

Basic advice and simple explanations.

1. Complete a Profession Lesson Plan. It’s extremely difficult to battle Adversaries if you haven’t done this.
  2. Work on Advanced Adversarial Combat. You need fewer Potions and Spell Energy to defeat Adversaries if you unlock these nodes.
  3. Strengthen your Potions through SOS Training so your Potions are more effective!
  4. Start brewing Tonics for Trace Detection, Healing Potions, Exstimulo Potions, and Wit-Sharpening Potions. You will need to use a combination of these Potions during the event.
  5. Start collecting extra Ingredients for Exstimulo Potions and Wit-Sharpening Potions. These Potions will have reduced brewing time during the event.
  6. Fill up on Spell Energy! Combat with Adversaries burns a lot of Spell Energy.
  7. Open up your maximum Gifts each day, prioritizing Gifts that give you the aforementioned resources.

This SOS Training chart indicates the different nodes and their locations to improve your Potions. Note the inclusion of nodes to improve Tonic for Trace Detection.

LocationNodeEffect
CE I,5Engarde!Exstimulo Potion Potency Increase
CE I,9Brunch or Linner?Exstimulo Potion Potency Increase
CE II,22Was Mundungus Here?Exstimulo Potion Potency Increase
CE I,12Awesome BlossomExstimulo Potion Duration Increase
CE I,8Twisting SpleensHealing Potion Potency Increase
CE I,9Name in the Paper!Healing Potion Potency Increase
CE II,15Muggle MedicinesHealing Potion Potency Increase
CE I,8Hand in HandStrong Exstimulo Potion Potency Increase
CE II,17St. MungosStrong Exstimulo Potion Potency Increase
CE II,28Ebb and NeapStrong Exstimulo Potion Potency Increase
CE I,20Ice Cream SocialStrong Exstimulo Potion Duration Increase
CE I,12Volunteer WorkPotent Exstimulo Potion Potency Increase
CE II,32Light My FirePotent Exstimulo Potion Potency Increase
CE III,38Tempermental CauldronsPotent Exstimulo Potion Potency Increase
CE III,42Wasted on the OldPotent Exstimulo Potion Duration Increase
CE II,22Whetstone for the MindWit-Sharpening Potion Potency Increase
CE II,32Recipe RecitationWit-Sharpening Potion Potency Increase
CE II,40I’ll Be the KnightWit-Sharpening Potion Potency Increase
CE II,32Wit Beyond LeisureWit-Sharpening Potion Duration Increase
CE I,7Stir CrazyIncreases Traces revealed by Tonic for Trace Detection
CE II,25Concentrated ConcoctionIncreases Traces revealed by Tonic for Trace Detection
CE III,38Trained For ThisIncreases Traces revealed by Tonic for Trace Detection
Prepare to Collect Dragon Portmanteaus

Before most Adversaries events, I recommend you spend your extra Gold on Vault Extensions, but right now, Silver Keys are a better investment. This is especially true for players who still need many Dragon Egg Fragments!

Before the event begins, walk as much as you can to clear out your existing Portkeys.

The Dragon Portmanteaus will be color-coded. Each will be just 1km. Look at your Oddities Registry. Which Dragon Eggs do you need most? I have gold frames for both Oddities III and Oddities IV, and I haven’t placed any of the Dragon Eggs yet. This means I need all of them, so I’m not worried about prioritizing Portkeys. However, your Registry pages will be different. Make a plan so you can get the right Portkeys for your goals!

Baruffio’s Spotlight Event Prep

If you are at level 4 to level 14 in Wizards Unite, this is the chance to level up quickly! Here are the bonuses:

• Baruffio’s Brain Elixir brew time reduced to 6 hours
• Master Notes will reduce Baruffio’s Brain Elixir brew time by 50%
• Baruffio’s Brain Elixir effects increased to 3X

First, follow the advice above for collecting Ingredients for Exstimulo Potions. You can take advantage of the reduced brewing time. Exstimulo Potions will help you return higher threat Traces and therefore earn more Wizarding XP.

Start saving all the Ingredients for Baruffio’s Brain Elixir! These are all the Ingredients you need to brew one Baruffio’s Brain Elixir.

2ui_item_ingredients_leapingtoadstool.pngLeaping Toadstool1
ui_item_ingredients_frogbrains.pngFrog Brain
1ui_item_ingredients_runespooreggs.pngRunespoor Eggs1ui_item_ingredients_powdereddragonclaw.pngPowdered Dragon Claw

Frog Brains and Runespoor Eggs are fairly easy to find. Leaping Toadstools are rarely available on the Map–you mostly need to grow those in Greenhouses. Powdered Dragon Claws are exclusively available as Portkey rewards.

Leaping Toadstool has a 24-hour growing time. Plant seeds in a Greenhouse, and use Spell Energy to maximize the yield. Come back the next day at the same time to collect your Leaping Toadstools. To get even more Leaping Toadstools, use your Greenhouse Charm on the Greenhouse before you collect your Ingredients.

Walk a lot to unlock Portkeys for a chance at Powdered Dragon Claw. Plus you will clear out your Portkeys for the Dragon Portkeys!

You can also ask your friends to send you Baruffio’s Brain Elixir Gifts.

Tips to Enjoy the Dragons Event

This advice assumes you get Traces and Adversaries at your home, or you’re able to visit an area with Wizards Unite activity on the Map. As always, stay safe.

First, always keep a close eye on your Potions so you can collect new ones immediately and use Master Notes on the next one. Keep brewing Potions constantly. This is helpful for everyone!

Prestige Pages Quickly

To place all of the Images on the Adversary pages, you need fewer of the final Adversary than you do of the Artefacts. This is true of all Feared Adversaries, including the Ancient Hungarian Horntail.

If you are low on Spell Energy and/or Potions, you can work to prestige your Registry pages while still conserving resources. Once you have placed the Ancient Hungarian Horntail, and you have returned it enough times to place again, back out from future Adversary chains after you defeat the Guards. You will still receive Artefact Fragments by defeating the Guards.

However, this strategy does mean you earn less DADA Books. It’s up to you if you want to prioritize grinding DADA Books or prestiging pages.

In addition, it can take quite some time to accomplish after you have a silver frame. This strategy is most efficient with a base frame, and it’s still reasonable with a bronze frame. After that, you might choose to place the Ancient Hungarian Horntail multiple times while you earn the Artefact Fragments.

Grind DADA Books

If you really want to grind DADA Books, your best strategy involves going to an area with multiple POIs in the game. Plant Snowdrop or Wormwood at a Greenhouse. Walk from Inn to Inn if available, or sit by an Inn if you just have one. Replenish your Spell Energy between Adversary Encounters. Use your Inn Charm for extra Spell Energy.

If you aren’t getting sufficient Adversaries, use an EDM for 3 additional Adversaries every 30 minutes. However, keep in mind that you can’t use a Tonic for Trace Detection at the same time, limiting your ability to attract Dragon Oddities.

Collect Dragon Eggs

Unfortunately, Adventure Sync is still broken for many players. While an update is expected soon (TM), there’s no guarantee of timing or even an adequate fix.

If your game still tracks distance, at least with the app open, you can still work to collect Dragon Eggs. In fact, this is the most efficient way to do it. Open Portkeys as soon as they unlock. Collect more Dragon Portkeys. Rinse and repeat.

Use all of your Silver Keys. Buy more if you can.

Grind Wizarding XP (Spotlight Event)

If you are level 4-14, you can level up this weekend! I have a detailed video guide to the Baruffio’s Brain Elixir Spotlight Event.

Normally, I recommend you visit a place with Inns and stack Dark Detectors. However, with Dragon Oddities boosted, they are an easy way to find Severe-threat and Emergency-threat Foundables!

Use a Tonic for Trace Detection with a Baruffio’s Brain Elixir. Focus on all orangish-red and red beams. You might want to use a regular Exstimulo Potion on the Dragons if you’re low on Spell Energy. While Oddities will not depart, they can take several hits for low-level players.

While your Brain Elixir is still running, open up 20 Gifts, prioritizing anything labeled Extravagant. Open any Portkeys that are ready.

You can also easily use a Tonic for Trace Detection while walking around, so you can open Portkeys at the same time. This will help you collect Dragon Portkeys!

Finish Bonus Assignment

If you really want those 5 Restricted Section Books, you need to plan out your time carefully to finish the main tasks quickly and unlock the Bonus Assignment.

Use your first EDM immediately, but wait until you have completed all other tasks to use your second EDM. (Unless you rely on EDMs for Adversaries, then use them as needed).

Walk around while using the EDM to find the necessary Welsh Green Dragons and Chinese Fireball Dragons. Luckily Severe-threat and Emergency-threat Oddities are fairly easy to spot.

After your first EDM finishes, use a Tonic for Trace Detection to find more Dragon Oddities.

At the same time, keep walking around to find more Adversaries while you also return Foundables. If you’re nervous about getting to the Bonus Assignment in time, back out of any Adversaries who are not the Ancient Hungarian Horntail.

If you want to prestige those pages, you can split the difference by just defeating the Guards to collect Artefact Fragments. And if you really want to save on resources, just defeat the first Guard then flee. While this is a slow process for collecting Artefact Fragments, it’s a valid choice to balance out your goals with your resources.

Keep walking to find Adversaries and Foundables, replenishing your Tonic for Trace Detection as needed. While defeating Adversaries, you will naturally earn Artefact Fragments and use Potions.

To earn 18 Ancient Hungarian Horntail Artefacts, you need to encounter at least 5 Adversaries. You earn 4 Artefact Fragments per complete chain. (I confirmed the Adversary Fragment will count). However, if you are low on resources, you can also choose to back out after defeating the Guards. This is a great option for players who haven’t completed their Advanced Adversarial Combat.

If you defeat 5 Ancient Hungarian Horntail Adversaries, you will have dealt 26,215 Damage, almost enough for the task. Defeat 1-2 other Adversaries, or even just Guards, and you will reach the required 27,500 Damage.

However, if you just defeat the Guards, you will have dealt 23,562 Damage after 9 Adversary chains. (You need to do this to collect the Artefacts). You need to deal an additional 3,938 Damage to reach the required 27,500 Damage. You can do this through easier Adversaries like Draco Malfoy and Gilderoy Lockhart.

Finally, you need to collect Hagrid’s Hut Fragments by winning Wizarding Challenges in Dark Chambers. You can fit this into your play schedule as most convenient. Stick with Dark Chamber I to do this quickly. You can coordinate with friends at a local Fortress or look for players on the Knight Bus.

After completing all other tasks, use the second EDM. Collect your task rewards. Return to the Map. Confirm the Bonus Assignment is live. Start tracking down more of the Ancient Hungarian Horntail.

Once your EDM expires, use a Tonic for Trace Detection to find the Dragon Oddities.

If you’re walking while finding Adversaries and Dragons, you should unlock a Dragon Portkey.

Adversaries Event Bundles

Like all Wizards Unite events, this Adversaries Event will feature store bundles. The free store pack includes an Edible Dark Mark! One paid bundle is a repeat from past events. The other paid bundle is new.

Free store pack includes:

• 1 Dark Detector
  • 1 Edible Dark Mark
  • 2 Healing Potions
  • 1 Exstimulo Potion
  • 30 Spell Energy

The Arresto Adversary Bundle (800 Gold) includes:

• 3 Silver Keys
  • 2 Edible Dark Marks
  • 125 Spell Energy

Is this bundle a good deal?

You can buy 10 Silver Keys for 720 Gold, making the individual value of each Silver Key 72 Gold. Thus 3 Silver Keys are worth 216 Gold.

You can buy 5 Edible Dark Marks for 1200 Gold, making the individual value 240 Gold. Thus the value of 2 Edible Dark Marks is 480 Gold. Before Spell Energy, this bundle is only worth 696 Gold.

The Adversary Vanquisher Trunk (2020 Gold) includes:

• 3 Edible Dark Marks
  • 125 Spell Energy
  • 8 Tonics for Trace Detection
  • 8 Wit-Sharpening Potions
  • 8 Strong Exstimulo Potions

3 Edible Dark Marks are worth 720 Gold.

A single Tonic for Trace Detection in Diagon Alley costs 60 Gold. However, you can also buy 4 for 220 Gold, so the individual value is 55 Gold.

Thus 8 Tonics are worth 440 Gold.

Normally, I don’t advise buying Strong Exstimulo Potions because the Ingredients are fairly common. However, you might need extra Potions for the Adversaries Event.

Looking at just Ingredients, it’s 3 Gold each per Snowdrop, Bitterroot, and Re’em Blood, plus 12 Gold for Abraxan Hair, so 36 Gold per Strong Exstimulo Potion.

Thus 8 Strong Potions are worth 288 Gold.

I never advise buying Wit-Sharpening Potions.

Before Spell Energy, this bundle is worth 1448 Gold, not even close to the 2020 Gold cost. And that’s assuming you value EDMs, Tonics for Trace Detection, and Strong Exstimulo Potions. Even with the Spell Energy, this bundle is not a good deal.

Final Thoughts

Playing outside? Be sure to carry an extra battery pack or two, plus charging cables. Need a new battery pack? Check out my list of the top-rated options on Amazon!

What do you think of this event? Are you excited for Dragons? Join the conversation on Discord or social media!

If you’d like to support the work of Wizards Unite Hub, join our Patreon or shop our merch store.

You can also support me directly on Kofi, which helps cover my tea-drinking habit. (I literally drank 2 large mugs while writing this article).

The post Ancient Hungarian Horntail Adversaries and Dragon Oddities appeared first on Wizards Unite Hub.