Beware the Ancient Hungarian Horntail! January Adversaries Event

B

Brita

Last month, Adversaries finally arrived to Harry Potter: Wizards Unite. Although the inaugural event was a bit of a challenge, I believe the HPWU team listened to player feedback and adjusted the January Adversaries Event.

Thank you Niantic and WB Games for providing Wizards Unite Hub with early information so we can create Wizards Unite guides.

Other articles on Adversaries:

To learn more about the upcoming Adversaries Event, you can watch my video or keep reading.

January Adversaries Event Overview

Event Name January Adversaries Event
Date + Time
Features
  • Starts on January 19, 2021 at 11:00 a.m. Pacific
  • Ends on January 22, 2021 at 11:00 a.m. Pacific
  • A special assignment rewarding various items
  • Boosted Adversaries on the Map
    • Ancient Hungarian Horntail
    • Draco Malfoy (not as much)
    • Fenrir Greyback (not as much)
  • Master Notes will reduce brewing time by 50% for all Exstimulo Potions and Wit-Sharpening Potion
  • Guaranteed Exploration Foundable fragments when doing Wizarding Challenges in Forest IV or above
    • -Extra Wizarding XP
    • -Extra Challenge XP
    • -Spell Energy rewards
  • Free store pack
[TR]
[TD]Rewards[/TD]

• Defense Against the Dark Arts Books
  • Spell Energy
  • Edible Dark Marks
  • Gold
  • And more!!!
[/TR]
Adversaries Event Tasks and Rewards

During the December event, many players (including me) didnt finish because we couldnt collect enough Wit-Sharpening Gifts. Others struggled due to low Adversary Trace density. The HPWU team listened to this feedback, and the tasks should now be doable for most players.

Dont worry about the Edible Dark Mark task. The free store pack includes one, so you will not need to purchase one.

You can find Wit-Sharpening Gifts by visiting Greenhouses OR winning Wizarding Challenges. Drop rates should be improved this time.

Quest StepReward
Defeat 35 Foes in Wizarding Challenges2 Strong Exstimulo Potions
Find 2 Wit-Sharpening Gifts1 Wit-Sharpening Potion
Use 1 Edible Dark Mark2 Armadillo Bile
Earn 1500 Challenge XP through Wizarding Challenges and/or Adversary Chains1 Edible Dark Mark
Use 7 Exstimulo Potions (any) in Adversaries Combat20 Spell Energy
Use 3 Wit-Sharpening Potions in Adversaries Combat4 Healing Potions
Deal 20,000 Damage to Adversaries1 DADA Book
Return 15 Artefact Fragments from Ancient Hungarian Horntail Chain2 DADA Books

Overall rewards:

• 5 Defense Against the Dark Arts Books
  • 1 Edible Dark Mark
  • 500 Wizarding XP
  • 60 Gold
  • 30 Spell Energy
How to Prepare for Januarys Adversaries Event

As I advised last month, prioritize building up a Profession Lesson Plan. Ideally, you will have a completed Lesson Plan already, but I realize new players need more time to collect resources. Focus on finishing the ongoing Brilliant Event to earn 15 Restricted Section Books. Grind Wizarding Challenges to collect more Spell Books.

Start brewing Healing Potions! The Dragon Adversaries all hit hard, and you dont want to lose because the Ancient Hungarian Horntail hits you 4 times in a row. Remember that the Healing Potion must be used while you are playing offense. The Potions button briefly disappears when you are casting Protego. (The NDA team has critiqued this game design, but it remains unchanged for now).

Start collecting Ingredients for Exstimulo Potions and Wit-Sharpening Potions. Youll want a good stockpile of these to take advantage of the reduced brewing time with Master Notes.

Brew a few Exstimulo Potions and Wit-Sharpening Potions in advance. Youll want some on hand immediately when the event begins.

Fill up on Spell Energy! Even when using Potions, you go through Spell Energy quickly to defeat Adversaries.

Fill up your Trace Charm charges if possible. Get in your daily steps, and avoid using your Trace Charm unless you are maxed out. During the last event, a glorious bug revealed Adversaries when players put the Trace Charm on Emergency-threat Traces.

Tips for Januarys Adversaries Event

I explain all of this in more detail, with visual aids, in my video above.

If you live in a rural area, and you need to play from home, you can still get at least 6 Adversaries during the event through free Edible Dark Marks. Grind Wizarding Challenges first to earn 1500 Wizarding XP. Then you will have 2 Edible Dark Marks to use.

These will reveal a total of 6 Adversaries. Be abundant with your Potions if these are the only Adversaries you will see. You dont want to lose the Encounter. At the very least, use the 7 Exstimulo Potions and the 3 Wit-Sharpening Potions to complete those tasks.

If you get at least 2 Hungarian Horntails from the 6 total Adversaries, you should deal the required 20,000 Damage.

The only task that will require additional Adversaries is Return 15 Artefact Fragments from Ancient Hungarian Horntail Chain. Unless you get lucky with 6 Ancient Hungarian Horntails from your 2 Edible Dark Marks, you will need to find more to complete this task.

That said, you do NOT need to defeat the Ancient Hungarian Horntail to return Artefact Fragments. If you are low on Spell Energy and/or Potions, you can defeat just the 2 Guards and then back out from the Encounter.

Adversaries Event Bundles

Like all Wizards Unite events, the January Adversaries Event will feature store bundles. The free store pack includes an Edible Dark Mark! These bundles are the same as last month, but I will break down their values again.

ARIES_EVENT_JANUARY_2021_-_GIFT__BUNDLES-1024x1024.jpg

The free store pack includes:

• 1 Edible Dark Mark
  • 2 Healing Potions
  • 1 Exstimulo Potion
  • 30 Spell Energy

The Arresto Adversary Bundle includes:

• 3 Edible Dark Marks
  • 125 Spell Energy

Is this bundle a good deal?

You can buy 5 Edible Dark Marks for 1200 Gold, making the individual value 240 Gold. Thus the value of 3 Edible Dark Marks is 720 Gold. If you only want discounted Edible Dark Marks, this bundle is not a good value. If you want discounted Spell Energy, then the bundle is a decent deal.

The Adversary Vanquisher Trunk includes:

• 5 Edible Dark Marks
  • 125 Spell Energy
  • 10 Potent Exstimulo Potions
  • 5 Wit-Sharpening Potions
  • 5 Healing Potions

5 Edible Dark Marks cost 1200 Gold.

A single Potent Exstimulo Potion in Diagon Alley costs 75 Gold. However, if you have all of the common Ingredients, its a better deal to buy 1 Unicorn Hair for 30 Gold, use Master Notes in the Cauldron, and then collect the Potion immediately for 41 Gold. So lets put the value of Potent Exstimulo Potions at 71 Gold.

10 Potent Potions is worth 710 Gold.

Wit-Sharpening Potions and Healing Potions all have common Ingredients, so players shouldnt spend money on them.

The value of this bundle before Spell Energy is 1910 Gold. If you dont need Spell Energy, then this bundle is not a good deal.

Final Adversaries Event Notes

Keep in mind this event will be during the week. Parts of the world will also have Community Day overlap with the Adversaries Event.

Playing outside? Be sure to carry an extra battery pack or two, plus charging cables. Need a new battery pack? Ive put together a list of the top-rated options on Amazon!

I hope this Wizards Unite Adversaries Event guide has been helpful! Let me know if theres anything else youd like to see in future guides.

What are your thoughts on the upcoming Adversaries Event? Share them in the comments or through our social media platforms!

The post Beware the Ancient Hungarian Horntail! January Adversaries Event appeared first on Wizards Unite Hub.