Answered Movement speed for unlocking portkeys at wizards unite?

Jul 8, 2019
Anyone know how fast you can move and it still register for unlocking portkeys?

Obviously not car speeds, but is there any point my keeping the app open while out running or on my bike?

On a related note, the distance recorded seems quite miserly compared to my other GPS devices.

Reactions: MattO and livoruc

MattO

Auror
Feb 26, 2019
Profession
Auror
School
Hogwarts
Houses
Slytherin
Hi @WhiteHorseMatt , just googled it and got this from pokemon go:

As of December 2016, there are 3 distinct ways that Niantic limits incubation/buddy progress:

• Speed limit. If you exceed the speed limit, it zeroes out any progress you have made in the last time window. This speed limit is 11mph (17.8 km/h).
  • Max distance per minute is 0.11 miles (175m). This translates to a top sustained speed of 6.5mph (10.46 km/h).
  • Any disruption to the game zeroes out any progress you have made in the last time window. Disruptions include losing GPS signal, getting a phone call, switching apps (even briefly), the game crashing, losing wireless connection (even briefly), etc.

Don't know if it's updated, but these should be the same or at least similar limits as for unlock Portkeys at Wizards Unite.
So, 6.5mph (10.46 km/h) is my bet :)

livoruc

Auror
Feb 18, 2019
that's something they have to check, sometimes i'm walking and the app says i'm going too fast...
should turn sync app or something similar!

Osidiano

Auror
Jul 17, 2019
Austin, Texas, USA
Profession
Auror
School
Hogwarts
Houses
Ravenclaw
Huh. Not sure if that's the case, because I've had the app open and running with myself as a passenger in the car and it's counted at least some of the distance and opened up the 7km Portkeys for me. It definitely isn't counting all of the distance, but it's better than nothing.

Reactions: oizar

oizar

Auror
Feb 14, 2019
Profession
Auror
School
Hogwarts
Houses
Hufflepuff
FriendsCode
Good to know, maybe just count when the car runs slowly.... :ROFLMAO: