What's the recommended length for a wand?

Breixo

Staff member
Feb 9, 2019
acciowizardsunite.com
Profession
Magizoologist
School
Hogwarts
Houses
Ravenclaw
FriendsCode
I know some of you already made your own wands.
Is there an average length? What should I keep in mind?
I think I already saw a @WUtuber showing how to make one but can’t remember who...
If you know the video I mean share it here.

Thanks!

Reactions: Samantuchy

Animagus

WUtuber
Feb 28, 2019
School
Hogwarts, Ilvermorny
Houses
Gryffindor, Thunderbird
I know some of you already made your own wands.
Is there an average length? What should I keep in mind?
I think I already saw a @WUtuber showing how to make one but can’t remember who...
If you know the video I mean share it here.

Thanks!
View attachment 74
Hello hello! This is a heavily debated topic.. Whenever I'm designing a wand FOR someone I always ask what their Pottermore sizesince this is usually what people would prefer. If they don't really seem to care, I ask for height measurements (taller being a longer wand, shorter being smaller) just so it fits their physical size. This blurb is directly from Pottermore and is pretty much what I'd call "standard".

[Most wands will be in the range of between nine and fourteen inches. While I have sold extremely short wands (eight inches and under) and very long wands (over fifteen inches), these are exceptionally rare. In the latter case, a physical peculiarity demanded the excessive wand length. However, abnormally short wands usually select those in whose character something is lacking, rather than because they are physically undersized (many small witches and wizards are chosen by longer wands).]

However, as Ollivander himself says, "The wand chooses the wizard! It may not always be clear why.." So at the end of the day it's ultimately your emotions and instincts that help call a wand to oneself. Best of luck!

Samantuchy

Staff member
WUtuber
Professor
Feb 13, 2019
acciowizardsunite.com
Profession
Professor
School
Hogwarts
Houses
Ravenclaw, Thunderbird
I might’ve felt inspired after repeatedly watching @Animagus video. I did a thing.

Now my brain loves tutorials but just can’t seem to follow them, so as usual I changed things around a bit, made it my own.

So this is the very first magic wand I made! It can be improved but I think it’s a good start.

I used a chopstick, a hot glue gun, black paint, metal wire and a pyrography pen (second time I use it, first time I didn’t burn my fingers) to give it a little more colour and burn a line to make room for the wire.
Then I used some charms I had, went for green in this case, one on either end and another one along the handle.
Oh, and I’m waiting for some rubber tips I ordered on Amazon so I can put one at the end and be able to use the wand on the phone/tablet ?

Next stop: a nice, thicker branch where I can do more designs with the pyrography pen. :D

If you’ve made wands of your own share a link or a picture here so we can ogle them!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Animagus and Breixo

Animagus

WUtuber
Feb 28, 2019
School
Hogwarts, Ilvermorny
Houses
Gryffindor, Thunderbird
This is awesome! So glad you were able to make your own and love how it turned out.

Reactions: Samantuchy

oizar

Auror
Feb 14, 2019
Profession
Auror
School
Hogwarts
Houses
Hufflepuff
FriendsCode
Great wands! I'll give it a try too :)